What's up in 2016: Plans, Dreams, Goals!!
I have been feeling super lucky/blessed this morning, and so it felt like the right time for a blog post. I think it’s important to communicate gratitude, even though it can be difficult for those of us (read: me) who prefer to process our feelings in a more solitary way. There have been too many times in my life where my failure to express appreciation has hurt me and other people. So, I think, if you care about someone/something, say it out loud! Don’t assume it’s understood. Also, know there’s power in the spoken word. Like an incantation. Or a song. Or a magic spell. Really.
That said, the real reason I’m here is to tell you about some exciting stuff I have planned. I have a lot of hope for 2016, and I’m so grateful for the opportunities I've been given so far.
Here’s some stuff coming up/developing:
- February: Sarah L. Webb will be the guest writer for the blog, and her piece “Hearing:Healing” is probably going to make you cry (in a good way).
- March: I’m thinking about interviewing an artist from the Winter 2016 issue, but this is still TBD.
- March/April: My very first poetry chapbook, things we have in writing (POEMS for Z) is set to publish through dancing girl press. I’ll be trying to set up some readings/performances after it comes out, both here on the east coast (Philly/NYC) and on the west coast (Portland, SF), where I have some friends. Hit me up, if you think you can help me with this! :D
- April: The spring issue of SOUND:POETREE:: launches!
- April: I submitted our video poem, Poets Are Really Bored People, to a few different video art shows, including one in Philly that is run by a friend of mine. If it's accepted, there could be a screening!
- May: I’ve been invited to participate in Drexel University’s Week of Writing, so I’m super honored/excited about that! I will be a part of a panel on Writing and Drawing with two other writer/artists on May 12th from 3:30-5pm. More details to come.
- May/June: I’ve been invited to talk about SOUND:POETREE:: in Valerie Fox’s Small Press class at Drexel. More details to come on that as well.
Other less-formed things . . .
Poetry Postcards: I’m finally finishing up the poetry postcards, based on visual poems I created in Illustrator back in the day. I plan to finish these to give out at events/possibly sell on this site.
Collaborative/Community/Multimedia Poetry Project: I’m going to host another one of these in the near future. I’m not sure what it will look like yet, but I just finished reading a book called, The Healing Forces of Music. It's about shamanistic uses of sound & music for healing (emotionally, physically, spiritually). So, I think I’ll use those ideas somehow.
Piano: I’m still playing, like, everyday! In fact, I found myself in a group of musicians recently talking about music stuffs, and I actually kind of understood what they were talking about. Win! I think in 2016, you’ll begin to see more sound experiments coming outta me.
Writing: That said, I also plan to spend more time getting back to the basics in 2016. I’ve been spending so much time doing everything else that sometimes I forget how lovely it is to just sit down and write.
Well, that's what I have to say for now. Hope you all have a productive year ahead. Keep dreaming!!